Heads of department and subject leader checklist
a) Is the basic information provided to teachers about pupils up-to-date?
b) Have the following categories been properly identified:
- pupils with special educational needs?
- pupils eligble for Pupil Premium?
- pupils with gifted and talented attributes?
- pupils with English as an additional language?
- pupils with high mobility?
c) Is data and/or information available for each pupil's:
- prior attainment?
- value-added performance?
- assessment of current performance?
d) Has the subject performance been compared against:
- forecast/targets for the year group and teaching group?
- performance in other subjects in the same school?
- performance in the same subject in similar schools?
e) Has the quality of teaching and learning been observed for:
- a sample across teaching groups?
- a sample across year groups?
- all teachers, especially newly qualified teachers?
f) Has there been a scrutiny and moderation of:
- the curriculum and lesson planning of teachers?
- the quality of school work and homework?
- the quality of marking and assessment?
g) Have individual or groups of pupils been involved in:
- reviewing their progress against set targets?
- providing feedback on their work and achievements?
h) Has there been a professional discussion/feedback with teachers on:
- pupil performance and the educational standards achieved?
- the quality of teaching and learning?
- the quality of curriculum planning and resources?
- the moderation and assessment of pupils' work (internal/external)?
i) Has there been a review and feedback from the leadership team on:
- subject performance in national tests and public examinations?
- performance against agreed targets?
- progress against agreed improvement priorities?
- areas for further improvement or development priorities?
Next page >>>